Friday, March 7, 2014

Snow Soup

Rain Dribbles
Sloppy Steps
Buried Porch Steps
A Sliver of Open Water
Rain dribbles down the south windows, and my world blurs. The weather has decided to change up the menu at Elmira Pond, and its serving up a great big bowl of snow soup for the week.

Like a steaming bowl of soup, mist rises from the snow-saturated pastures. Outside, I'm wet from both rising mist and falling rain. My boots slop through several inches of watery slush and melting snow is pooling upon what remains.

Little by little the roof sculptures diminish into rivulets of clear water. Where the roof dumped piles of snow at the bottom of the porch steps has become an icy barrier. Grendel doesn't mind and walks across the heap. Bobo stands at the top of the starirs as if expecting me to move it out of her way.

I try. The shovel moves slush, but not the compressed ice beneath. Grabbing an ax I chop clumsily at the ice. It's no good, or rather I'm no good at the task. We'll just have to rely on melt to get rid of this particular pile.

Standing at the edge of my slushy driveway, I gaze at Elmira Pond. Open water; there it is--a sliver of open water. The first time in months, I can actually see the pond for the body of water that it is. I'm gleeful as a child watching the carnival rides go up at the fairgrounds. I know what it means.

Open water attracts migrating fowl. Snow soup brings ducks. Ringed-tails, woods, harlequins, widgeons, buffleheads, mallards and mergansers. For now, I see flocks winging north, but soon I will see them on Elmira Pond.

8 comments:

  1. Must be a sight to see - your 'bird' life on Elmira Pond. I wish you a speedy entrance into Spring and the return of your wildlife.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's happening already, Elf! I'm feeling all tingly and a atwitter seeing the first flock of robins and two Canada geese standing on the pond today! Guess it needs more melting, though!

      Delete
  2. I am so with you. I've been driving out to the reservoir to watch for open water and migrating waterfowl. It's been a rewarding week. The first sliver of water has appeared. Several species of winged creatures are hovered near the open water. I could just hang out there all day with the lovelies. You are entering an exciting time and I love experiencing it here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it such a dynamic time? That water is such an attraction, but I realized this morning it isn't really open--just melting on top of ice. Already i had visitors this morning which means I'll be running around with camera and binoculars. This was the whole reason I started writing Elmira Pond. I figured if I was going to be so distracted, I needed to write about it! I look forward to comparing notes with you in a different region!

      Delete
  3. Snow soup. Oh, I have a lot of the main ingredient for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I'm trying to ignore the fact that the weather is delivering more snow. At this point, I'm calling it white rain.

      Delete
  4. I always love your photos and you beautifully written articles. Few people could make melting snow sound so romantic :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cynthia. I like that--the "romantic" nature writer! :-)

      Delete