Sunday, June 1, 2014

Early Bird

Early Bird
Chipping Sparrow
Curious Little Bird
Twilight starts around 4 a.m. in the summer. As the sun shines through cracks in the Cabinet Mountains to the east, it hits me full in the face by 4:47.

Every June morning I'm reminded that I need a window shade and everyday I forget to do so. But it gives me an excuse to peek at the early birds.

A chipping sparrow greets me early in the pine tree outside my unshaded upstairs window. He's dashing in his rufous cap and bandito eye-stripes, bouncing softly among thick boughs. He let's me take his picture, cocking his head in equal curiosity.

In the distance I hear the forest jack-hammer at work--the echoing taps of a pileated woodpecker. The first time I ever heard a pileated was in Washburn, WI. Despite their incredible size and distinct red, white and black coloring, pileated woodpeckers remain elusive.

Birding is a good excuse to rise with the morning sun, but hey, 5 a.m. is a bit too early! So I peek and then snuggle into sheets to snooze some more.

No comments:

Post a Comment